Thanksgiving is here and all of the menu planning has begun. As much as we all love the food at Thanksgiving – so do our pets. However, the dishes that we love may be really dangerous for our dogs.

Dog’s love to sit there while we prepare Thanksgiving dinner, patiently waiting for us to drop a piece of turkey or ham. But – some of those “accidental” droppings may have us at the PET ER with a pup with a very upset stomach. Check out our list of Thanksgiving foods that are toxic to pets, the symptoms they may experience and how you should react if your dog eats one of these Thanksgiving snacks.

Keep these dangerous foods away from your dogs at Thanksgiving

Onions, Garlic, and Chives are dangerous to your dog

Onions, garlic and chives are found throughout most of our menus all year long, but they can cause a dangerous mix if your dog eats them. The danger comes in due to the toxicity causing gastrointestinal irritation and hemolytic anemia which reduces the amount of oxygen carried throughout your dogs body – basically the bursting of red blood cells.

Grapes and Raisins are dangerous to your dog

Grapes and raisins are found in several of our Fall dishes and they can be extremely dangerous. Although they know little about toxic substance within the grapes, these fruits have been linked to kidney failure in canines.

Macadamia Nuts are dangerous to your dog

Does your favorite cookie or dessert recipe call for macadamia nuts? When dogs eat macadamia nuts they can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hypothermia. The signs usually show up within 12 hours of ingestion and can last for 12-24 hours!

Tree Nuts can be dangerous to your dog

Almonds, pecans, and walnuts can all be dangerous foods for dogs. The nuts contain high amounts of oils and fats which can lead to unpleasant experience with your dog. Vomiting, diarrhea and even pancreatitis are side affects of your dogs eating nuts.

Milk and Dairy products can be dangerous to your dog

Dairy products are common ingredients to food all year long, not just at Thanksgiving – but they definitely make the list of dangerous foods to your dog! You should be cautious with dairy despite what many believe pets do not digest dairy products very well. Dogs do not have significant amounts of lactase which is the enzyme that breaks down the lactose in milk. To much milk and other dairy products can cause your pet to suffer from an upset stomach.

 Salt and Salty Snack Foods can be dangerous to your dog

I don’t know about you, but chips are one of our favorite snacks at home – but pretzels and potato chips in abundance can be harmful to your dogs. The large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst, urination and even sodium-ion poisoning for your dog. Salt toxicity signs can include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temps, seizures and even death.

Alcohol is dangerous to your dog

Alcohol being dangerous to your dog should be obvious right? You’d be surprised at how many dogs are brought into the vet every year for alcohol intoxication. Clinical signs from intoxication include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system issues, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma and even death y’all. If your dog has gotten into alcohol please see your vet as soon as possible.

Chocolate is dangerous to your dog

Chocolate contains two ingredients that are toxic in large quantities to your dog – theobromine and caffeine. Different types of chocolate have different amounts of each of the toxic ingredients therefore the amount of chocolate your dog eats and the toxicity level will be different with each type. Darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. Baking chocolate contains the highest amounts of theobromine. Signs of chocolate toxicity include diarrhea or vomiting from the high fat content in chocolate, restlessness, hyperactivity, twitching, tremors, increased drinking, increased urination, excessive panting and an abnormal heart rhythm.

Raw, Under-cooked Meat, Eggs and Bones are dangerous to your dog

Salmonella and E. coli can be present in raw meat and raw eggs and is dangerous to pets and humans. Pets can choke bones, or sustain injury if a bone splinter becomes lodged in or punctures their digestive tract. To help satisfy their need to chew try giving them a Yak Milk Bone instead of a real bone.

Keep your dogs safe around the dinner table

I hope the above lists help keeps your dog out of the PET ER this holiday season! If you think your dog has eaten a dangerous food you should contact your local vet immediately. There is also a national pet poison hotline that operates 24 hours a day and it can be reached at 855-764-7661.

Despite all of the dangerous foods during Thanksgiving your pets don’t have to be left out. Check out all of the pet friendly Thanksgiving treats from Amazon!

Check out all of our other informative blogs over on